Startup Weekend Honolulu (SWHNL) was held for the 5th time during the weekend of February 7-9. This was the third time in a row that it was held at the BoxJelly, Hawai`i’s first coworking space. The event was definitely another success with over 100 participants ranging from designer, developer, and business backgrounds. When asked on the final night, it turned out over half the participants were first-timers. What an awesome turnout!
This SWHNL also happened to be the first for Bryan Butteling who took over the Lead Organizer position from Danielle Scherman who had organized the previous four events. Naturally, he had some pretty big shoes to fill but was able to pull together another great event.
For those who aren’t familiar with Startup Weekend, it is a 54 hour weekend competition to launch a business. It’s an event that happens all over the world and has gathered quite the following. In fact, during the same weekend as this past Startup Weekend Honolulu, events were held in San Diego – California, Harrisonburg – Virginia, Calgary – Canada, Licking County – Ohio, to mention a few.
The event followed the format of idea pitching and team formation on Friday evening, working throughout Saturday and Sunday to refine and validate the business model, and giving the final presentation on Sunday evening. Mentors and judges popped in throughout the weekend to offer advice to the teams.
The Startup Weekend team pulled in some awesome judges including:
- Eric Nakagawa – Co-Founder of I Can Has Cheezburger and SimpleHoney
- Bernard Uy – Co-Founder of Wall-to-Wall Studios
- George Kellerman – Partner at 500 Startups
- Meli James – Program Manager at Blue Startups
- Devi Egan – Co-Founder of LaunchKey (Startup Weekend Las Vegas Winner)
- Steve Markowitz – Co-Founder of MyPoints.com, Angel Investor, and Vice Chairman of Volta
A total of 16 teams worked tirelessly throughout the weekend to prove that their ideas can be realized into full-fledged businesses! Here are all the awesome teams that participated:
- Tidy Panda(Honorable Mention) – Roommate management application
- Open Patent Foundation – Nonprofit advocating for open patent system
- Crowdless – Video scanning technology (originally used for military) to analyze wait times in hotel/resort environment
- Race Life – Mobile app to create and participate in road races
- Focus Opus – Task management app using intrinsic motivators
- Date Day (aka D Day) – Mobile app for all your date ideas
- Atmo Systems – Pulling moisture out of the air to produce fresh drinking water
- Super Hero Factory – Rewarding kids with what they want to learn
- Karat(3rd Place) – A beautifully designed Bitcoin wallet and exchange
- Green Apple(1st Place) – Crowdfunding school supplies for teachers
- Robo Liquidator – Have a robot do all the dirty work of online selling!
- Name Hub(2nd Place) – Community for domain name owners. Trade, sell, giveaway, request domain names!
- Startup Weekend for Musicians – It’s like a Startup Weekend, but for musicians!
- Dive Portal – All your diving needs, whether it be scuba or snorkeling
- Cannabis of Hawaii – duuuuuuude
- AdDuels – Get paid to play games with ads!
For those who missed out, make sure to be on the lookout for the next event which is set to take place later in the year!